DRAFT Selectmen's Minutes July 3, 2018

***DRAFT***

Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
July 3, 2018
Islesford Neighborhood House

Attendance:

Richard Beal, Chairman, BOS
Florence Joy Sprague, BOS
Cory Alley, BOS
Denise McCormick, Town Clerk
James Fortune, Administrative Assistant
Ben Sumner, Deputy Clerk
Katelyn Damon, Public Safety Coordinator
Christine Sandberg, MAC
Dennis Dever, CEO & LPI
Bruce Fernald, Islesford Harbormaster
Starr Bright
William Dowling
Phil Whitney
Skip Stevens
Nan Hadlock
Jack Miller
JoAnne Thormann
Nate Brimmer, Axiom Technologies

I. Call to Order: 8:31am by Chairman Richard Beal.

II. Review / Sign Financial Warrants
Warrant #26 $ 21,786.03
Warrant #27 $ 7,709.62
Warrant #28 $ 71,559.50 (school)
Warrant #29 $ 7,865.14
Warrant #30 $ 104,248.83
Total: $ 213,169.12

All warrants were signed by the Selectmen.

III. Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes: June 5, 2018

Richard Beal requests an amendment to Audience Communication to reflect that Maine law prohibits the use of speed bumps on local public roads. Richard Beal moves to approve the June 5, 2018 Board of Selectmen’s meeting minutes as amended. Florence Joy Sprague seconds the motion. Motion approved 3-0.

V. Other Business (taken out of order)

Selectmen review estimate and specifications from Newman & Gray Boatyard for a winter float for GCI. General discussion. Richard Beal moves to approve the quote for $22,500. Cory Alley seconds the motion. Motion approved 3-0.

IV. New Business

A. Broadband Project Progress Report & Update

Nate Brimmer of Axiom presents an update on the Broadband project. Islesford is operationally complete. Fiber has been pulled to every house on Sutton and service is expected to be completed by the end of July. Poles have been installed on GCI and trunk line construction will begin there this month.

B. MAC Report

Co-chair Christine Sandberg reports on MAC activities and requests Selectmen input on the letter submitted by the MAC at last month’s meeting. She also requests the Selectmen’s direction on the 15 Mansell Lane property. James Fortune reports that one apartment can be prepared for rental with minimal expense, but that a second apartment will require substantial renovation. Denise McCormick advises that estimates for substantial renovations should be obtained prior to commencement of the budgeting process for 2019. Cory Alley recommends that the process of renting one apartment (consideration of RFP responses from local builders and the determination of the renovation costs) be undertaken prior to considering remodeling a second apartment. Christine Sandberg advises that the MAC would like to provide the voters with an accurate cost-benefit analysis, but need financial information. Richard Beal tasks James Fortune to pull the financial numbers together on the property for the MAC to work with. Cory Alley and James Fortune recommend turning as much of the rental process as possible over to a property management company. Richard Beal moves to solicit Requests for Proposals from local contractors to determine the cost to renovate one apartment at 15 Mansell Lane. Cory Alley seconds the motion. Motion approved 3-0.
Florence Joy Sprague asks about the Red Zone installation at the property and tasks James Fortune to determine if the Town should be realizing any income or benefit from Red Zone for the use of the property.

C. Dog Point Road: Update on Time-Line

James Fortune reports that Goodwin’s plans to start road improvements and paving on Dog Point Road during the last half of July. The pavement width will be lowered to 14’ to reduce costs. He also advises that the Town’s road reserve account is likely to be exhausted this year by the paving project and projected regular maintenance. Richard Beal proposes an ordinance to prevent parking on Town roads based upon 23 MRSA 3651. He will put together a proposed ordinance for review. General discussion of parking enforcement at the Town docks. Richard Beal recommends a Warrant article to contract for police enforcement with Hancock County.

D. Approve Work and Estimate for Overhead Door Replacement in Manset

Discussion of door replacement at Manset. Dennis Dever explains why additional expense for a pass-through door was recommended. He also advises that the door contractor recommended replacing the springs in all the overhead doors at Manset due to their age. Consensus of the Board is to approve overhead door replacement with the addition of a pass-through door and to have spring replacement and regular maintenance completed on all doors with Manset reserve funds.

E. Dock Tie-Up & Enforcement (GCI & LCI Town Docks)

James Fortune presents sample enforcement letter recommended by the Harbor Committee to discourage tie ups at floats and docks that violate the Town’s Harbor Ordinance. Consensus of the Selectmen is to approve the letter as written and encourage the Harbormasters to issue at their discretion.

F. Revolutionary War Cemetery on GCI

Denise McCormick presents a letter from a GCI property owner requesting burial in the Spurling Revolutionary War Cemetery upon his death. She reports that the Town is required by state law to maintain the cemetery, but has no authority by which to allow additional burials. General discussion of cemetery issues. No action taken.

G. MRC: MSW Disposal (Waiver to Allow Delivery of MSW to PERC)

James Fortune presents a waiver from the Municipal Review Committee that would allow the Town to have solid waste delivered to PERC until the new facility in Hampden is completed. He does not recommend signing the waiver as the increased expense would cost the Town an estimated $2,000-$3,000 through the remainder of 2018. Consensus of the Board is to not sign the waiver. No action taken.

H. Maine D.O.T. Local Road Assistance Program (LRAP)

Selectmen review and sign letter accepting $6,988 from the State of Maine to be put towards the maintenance of Town roads.

V. Other Business

James Fortune reports that the Island Institute and the offices of Senators Collins and King will be holding a public event at Islesford on July 10 to recognize the Broadband project and the successful USDA grant application.

VI. Executive Session: Personnel Matter, 1 M.R.S.A. §405(6)(A)

None.

VII. Audience Communication

Phil Whitney reports that the Great Cranberry Island Historical Society and the Congregational Church of Cranberry Isles are scheduling a dedication ceremony for the monument at the Spurling Revolutionary War cemetery in the next couple of weeks. He invites the Town and the Selectmen to participate as they are able since the Town helped with the installation of the monument.

Phil Whitney asks about an update on the Longfellow School boundary dispute. James Fortune reports that the Town attorney continues to receive no response from the adjoining landowner’s attorney. Richard Beal moves to instruct the Town Attorney to pursue a Summary Judgment on the Town’s behalf. Cory Alley seconds the motion. Motion approved 3-0.

Florence Joy Sprague reports on traffic issues involving the ongoing well-drilling for the Fisherman’s Co-Op on Islesford.

Cory Alley asks about a hoist installation update for the Town Docks. Bruce Fernald reports on the LCI hoist. James Fortune reports on the GCI hoist.

JoAnne Thormann asks about boat tie-up enforcement at the Town Dock on Islesford. Harbormaster Bruce Fernald responds. General discussion of possible adjustments to tie-ups at the floats and the necessity of amending the Harbor Ordinance to make changes.

VIII. Adjournment

Richard Beal moves to adjourn the meeting. Florence Joy Sprague seconds the motion. Motion approved 3-0.

Meeting adjourned at 10:14am